Friday, February 10, 2017

Developing my personal branding

To me, I feel that personal branding is very important as it affects the way people perceive you. Let’s be honest, everybody judge, but whether people see us in a positive or negative light depends on how we present ourselves. As it only takes seven seconds to form an impression, having self-awareness is of utmost importance as being aware of how we need to behave in front of others will certainly depict our words and actions. Often, because of my introverted self, I tend to be conscious and take note of my speech and actions when conversing with people that I just met.

Sure, having a higher self-esteem will help me in exuding an air of confidence. However, I do believe that non-verbals such as facial expression and eye contact would often make and break that first impression. This is one weakness of mine which I would like to work on as I am still not as comfortable with maintaining eye contact with people.  

I always believe that everyone has an ideal self that they want to be. For me, as I am more of an introvert when it comes to meeting new people in a large group, I do wish to step out of my comfort zone and be someone that is more extroverted at times.

Communication wise, I play a more of the supportive role for both work and socially. I believe that having a supportive climate will allow everyone to feel that they are equal, where nobody are superior to anyone. In this case, ideas would come more freely as there are no communication barriers.

Everyone have their own strengths and weaknesses, and that is what makes a person unique. Therefore, a personal brand is what differentiates us from others. Nobody is perfect and I too, am on my way to developing my own personal brand. 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sze Min,

    I like how you describe more about yourself which made me understand more about your reasons to your character.

    Knowledge of Communication Concepts:
    You have identified your definition of personal branding clearly and have used accurate examples to articulate the rationale.

    You also highlighted your chosen communication and also showed your strengths and weakness in communication well. This shows you are clear of your communication methods and knwos which is best for you.

    Appropriate use of text structure and written presentation of Ideas:
    Your blog post was well structured with having the overall scope of your insights of personal branding at the start. Subsequently, you covered the different aspecets of self in the following two paragraphs.

    I would like to highlight a minor grammer mistake in your second paragraph which should be "make or break".

    You also concluded well by explaning everyone have their own unique branding and should embrace them.

    Depth of Reflection:
    Your blog post has a certain extent of depth of reflection in it with the right concepts and summarisation at the end.

    It was interesting learning more about your personal branding and I like how you write in short and sweet sentences.

    Cheers,
    Claudia Ng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Claudia,

    Thank you for the helpful comments, I enjoyed reading your blog post regarding personal branding too.

    Cheers,
    Sze Min

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sze Min,

    I really like how you describe the two ends of communication. Non-verbal and verbal communication, as well as strengths and weaknesses. While it is good to be aware of your weaknesses (very good display of self-awareness in this post), I'm sure you have strengths too right? Thus it would be better if you could have listed some of your strengths in communication, which would ultimately lead to people's first impressions of you, and your personal branding.

    You have demonstrated your knowledge of communication concepts very well, and blended them in with personal branding. Overall, your post is concise yet detailed.

    Cheers,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Denise,

      Thank you for your comments. I agree that I could have include some of the strengths to improve this post (:

      Cheers,
      Sze Min

      Delete